When you are in control of a brand new WordPress website or blog, it’s a good idea to mindful about security. Not just for your website, but for your computer and the computers being used in the organization. We thought you should know some important information concerning general security, your computer and your website.
Negative Google Results.
Recently we have helped a few friends that have been attacked by hackers. Their website was hacked into, and the result had a negative impact on their Google search results. One site had Viagra ad information show up under their search results (Pharma hack), and another had pages blocked by Google completely (Injection Hack). Although these cases are very rare, they can take a very long time to resolve. Sometimes this requires starting over on your website.
Why and How?
Hackers attack your computer through viruses and malware, which can not only scan your system for passwords but can actually track what you type. As in … you log in to your bank account and yes, now the hacker has your access information. So why target a website that isn’t that important? By targeting your website, hackers can gain access to your hosting server and then larger sites, more important information, etc. Some hackers just hack you because they can. This does not mean your website or your computer isn’t safe. Usually they are very safe. Remember these systems run on software and software must be kept up-to-date to keep security at its highest level.
What Can You Do?
- Regularly back up your site. (You need this backup to refer to if hacked.)
- Regularly log in to your dashboard and make sure WordPress and all Plug-Ins are up-to-date. (Prevents attacks)
- Regularly change passwords to all your log-in accounts like WordPress, FTP, Hosting account, etc. (Prevents attacks)
- Remove any “admin” user account to your site, and replace it with a new user account with strong passwords. (Prevents attacks)
- You can take security measures described on the Internet as “hardening WordPress.” (Prevents attacks)
- Virus scan your PCs and Mac computers regularly. (Prevents attacks)
We Can Make It Easy.
We have decided to offer two different packages that can make these preventative measures easier.
- Security Package – We will back up your website and save it to our archive, make sure everything is up-to-date, remove the “admin” account and install and set up the “Bullet Proof” plug-in. Cost is $200.
- WebSafe Discount Package – Sign up for a year of WebSafe backups, and for a limited time we will include the Security Package above. Cost is $45 per month, with a 12-month contract.
We must be clear: No solution is fool-proof, and the solutions above are no guarantee. Hackers will always be a problem to electronic data accessed over the Internet. But we feel that some preventative measures can save some very large headaches later. We hope you are already doing the six suggested steps and more to keep your site operating smoothly.
Please let us know if we can be of help. Just send us an e-mail, and we will get started ASAP.